Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Judge a Book by its Cover 2: Back by popular demand!

So a few weeks ago, I wrote up a little post judging various book covers (see it here). To my surprise, it turned out to be pretty popular. So, back by popular demand, here's Part Two: The Judgement Day.

Remember, packaging is everything!

 
This cover (for this book here) looks like it might be more at home on a chemistry textbook than a sci-fi novel. Seriously, I could take out this big chunk of confusing text and replace it with 'Experiment Handbook for Introductory Collegiate Chemistry' . . . and then the cover would be ten times more exiting, because it would signal that this book teaches you how to blow stuff up. What on earth (or whatever planet this book takes place on) does 'T1' mean? At least the author stuck to only two fonts.

My score? Four out of ten
Another sci-fi! This book (available here) actually looks pretty good, even though 'Wings of Steele' did make me think of 'Fifty Shades of Grey'. We have an actual image here, sci-fi appropriate fonts, a logo, and nice use of fade techniques at the top. Reminds me of something I'd find in the sci-fi section of a used book store--B-list genre fiction. It's a little more complicated than the covers you find on most mainstream genre fiction, which tend to be a bit more abstract rather than depicting what I think is an actual scene from a book, but this is a pretty solid cover nonetheless.

My score? Seven out of ten.


Well, here's an interesting one (available here). I'm not sure where to start. I'm guessing the author took a screenshot of a badly animated videogame character and popped him behind a basic faded edges filter. Then they realized it looked like a videogame and added a blur filter on top. Meanwhile, they failed to notice the character on the cover has the creepiest facial expression I've ever seen in my life. 

The big pink 'Shadow' up top makes me think this is some kind of erotica and the font down below should never ever be used on a fantasy novel, unless your whole fantasy universe exists in the Matrix. Has anyone noticed the gesture he's making with his left hand? Not only does this not make me want to read the book, it makes me not want to read it at all.

My score? Two out of ten

No comments:

Post a Comment